How to download the Java 2 source code
Just as Sun promised, it is fairly easy to download the Java 2 source
code. Follow these steps:
- Before you can download the Java 2 SDK, Sun requires you to create
a user name and password at the Sun Software shop. Go to:
Create a user account by filling in your name, address, and so on, on
the standard form.
- After you've created an account, go to Sun's "Java 2 SDK Community
Source Licensing" page at http://www.sun.com/software/communitysource/java2/.
This page provides an overview of Sun's new Java 2 licensing model
along with links to technical information, an overview of the Community
Source Licensing program, and how to download the Java 2 SDK.
- After reading the previous page, click the How to Download button
followed by the Begin Download button.
- Sign on by using your newly created user name and password.
- Next comes the 7,613-word license agreement. You must accept the
terms of this agreement before you can download the Java 2 source code.
When ready, click Accept, then Continue.
- You next receive an order number. Either write this number down or
print the page for future reference. Choose a download location near
you, then click on the JSSDK 1.2 Source file icon.
- Next, choose the format you want to download: gz format (19.78 MB),
Z format (30.9 MB), or zip format (24.94 MB). (The JavaWorld
download took about 10 minutes over a T1 line.)
The complete Java 2 SDK -- 69.8 MB uncompressed -- contains 7,293 files
located in 884 folders.