| CNN WEB SITES:
Top 10 Web plug-ins
Exploit the Web with these browser extras.
February 2, 1999
Web posted at: 12:48 p.m. EST (1748 GMT)
by Max Green
(IDG) -- The Web is full of more sounds, eye candy, and odd quirks than we can imagine, so why not experience it in all its glory? Whether you swear by (or at) Netscape Communicator or Internet Explorer, these popular plug-ins and helper applications from FileWorld will add to your Web browsing pleasure. If they leave you thirsting for more, avail yourself of more files by clicking the "More Browser Plug-In Extras" link below.
- ActiveMovie Player: The ActiveMovie streaming format can combine audio, video, still images, HTML pages, and programs in a single synchronized multimedia stream.
- QuickTime Plugin for Windows 95/NT: This package includes the QuickTime player and installer application, plus the QuickTime Plug-In for viewing multimedia content over the Web.
- Quick View Plus PlugIn: See and print virtually any file or document from within Netscape Navigator, including databases, presentations, spreadsheets, word processing documents, graphics, and more.
- Cool Talk: An Internet telephone tool included with Netscape Navigator 3.0 that provides audio conferencing, a full-featured whiteboard, and chat.
- XingMPEG Player: This MPEG decoder plays full-screen, full-motion, full-color video downloaded from the Internet. The 30-day trial version provides full functionality.
- Hyper MPEG Player : Play MPEG-1, MPEG-2, and the MPEG-System Video files using VCR-style controls. You can also save a frame as a .bmp file.
- Virtual Places: This Netscape plug-in lets you pick an avatar and chat with anyone on the Web. You can be a monster, a bathing beauty, or a muscle man.
- VivoActive Player: Display uninterrupted streaming audio and video over a 28.8-kbps modem with this utility.
- Net TOOB Stream for Windows 95: Plays all digital video formats found on the Net (MPEG-1, AVI, MOV, and FLC/FLI), as well as real-time audio and video.
- Java Developers Toolkit: Helps you write applets that conform to the 1.0 Java application programming interface and run in all Java-enabled browsers.