| CNN WEB SITES:
Top 10 system tune-ups
These tips will keep your PC running well into the new millennium.
January 5, 1999
Web posted at: 2:54 p.m. EDT (1454 GMT)
by Max Green
(IDG) -- What better time to delete stray files and optimize your system than the first days of the new year? Below are the most popular utilities in our shareware library that can help you tune up your system. Some diagnose corrupt files, some fix them, and others protect your PC from future mishaps. All will help keep your machine happily humming through 1999.
- RegRepair 2000: If your computer has ever broken down so seriously that you had to reformat your hard drive and reload all your software, this utility may be what you need. It can save you from having to reformat by systematically repairing and correcting problems with Registry files, corrupt font files, and more.
- SiSoft Sandra: Find out what Windows is doing with your system resources with this easy-to-use utility. It supports all new CPUs.
- BCM Diagnostics: This tool helps you diagnose problems with your Windows 95 PC. It can test a host of components including the processor, memory, video, sound, modem, floppy drive, CD-ROM, and hard disks. It also has a resource monitor.
- RegClean: This release of the Registry utility fixes a few problems and creates an undo.reg file so that you can undo the changes you inadvertently make to your system registry.
- Data Advisor: Check out your hardware to assess whether it has problems needing repair. Data Advisor scans file structures, boot sectors, partition tables, CMOS settings, and more, helping you thoroughly scan for potential problems.
- X-Setup: Clear histories and caches, change setup options for Start menu items, edit how your CD-ROM player works, and change defaults for documents and for Windows itself.
- Time Lord: Synchronize your computer's internal clock using one of several time servers available on the Net. Time Lord helps you automatically correct your computer time clock; it can also log all your connections and time corrections to provide a record of your clock's time gain or loss.
- Kernel Toys for Win95: The utilities in this set of "power" toys from Microsoft include a conventional memory tracker, an MS-DOS mode configuration wizard customization tool, a Windows time zone editor, a Windows 95 keyboard remap, a Windows process watcher, and a Windows logo key control for MS-DOS programs.
- Clean System Directory: This program scans your system looking for all references to DLL files in your Windows system directory. You can move DLL files that have no programs calling on them out of the system directory and delete them, saving disk space and improving system performance.
- Tune It!: This powerful OCX will help you tune your Windows 95 desktop and provide you with a lot of system information. Monitor system resources and system events, or launch screen savers, shut down the computer, or simply reboot.