1. NO PURCHASE NECESSARY. The Black in America HBCU Tour Campus iReporter Contest ("Promotion") is open to legal residents of the 50 United States, 18 years of age or older, currently enrolled in one of the following participating colleges: Hampton University, Howard University, NC Central University, North Carolina A&T, Atlanta University Center (Morehouse, Clark Atlanta, and Spellman colleges), and Florida A&M University ("Eligible Universities"). Employees, officers, directors and agents (and their immediate family and household members (whether or not related) of Cable News Network, Inc. ("CNN" or "Sponsor"), and its respective parents, subsidiaries, divisions, trustees, franchisees, participating vendors, distributors, advertising and promotion agencies and affiliated entities (collectively, with the Sponsor, the "Promotion Entities") are not eligible to enter or win. Void wherever prohibited by law. Promotion is governed by U.S. law and subject to all applicable federal, state and local laws and regulations. By entering the Promotion, entrants agree to accept and be bound by all terms of these Official Rules and Regulations ("Official Rules").
2. HOW TO ENTER: From March 26, 2008 — May 6, 2008 ("Promotional Period"), Sponsor will be conducting a tour of Eligible Universities in conjunction with the editorial feature "Black in America" (the "Tour"). Students will be asked to submit video essays covering a topic provided by CNN (the "Essay"). Essays should be at least 1 minute and no longer than 10 minutes. To enter participants should log on to www.cnn.com/blackinamerica/HBCUtour during each school's applicable promotional period listed below (the "Campus Promotional Period"), complete and submit the online entry form, including their name, address, telephone number (including the area code), e-mail address (if any) and birth date, and submit their Essay. To be eligible each entry must be received by 11:59 pm Eastern Standard Time (EST) on the final day of their Campus Promotional Period:
Florida A&M March 26, 2008 - April 1, 2008
North Carolina A&T March 27, 2008 - April 3, 2008
Hampton University April 2, 2008 - April 9, 2008
NC Central University March 28, 2008 - April 4, 2008
Howard University April 4, 2008 - April 11, 2008
Atlanta University Center April 7, 2008 - April 14, 2008
All entries must be submitted in the name of one (1) individual and the prize can only be awarded to the individual whose name is on the winning entry.
3. HOW TO WIN: Essays will be judged by CNN and its panel of chosen judges from among all eligible entries received.
- CNN will select a maximum of five (5) Essays from each school.
- Those top 5 Essays will then be sent to a panel of judges from the National Association of Black Journalists ("Judges") for judging. The Judges will select one (1) First Prize Winner ("First Prize Winner") and one Runner-up ("Runner-up") from each group of top five Essays. This will result in six (6) First Prize Winners and six (6) Runners-up
-Selection of the top five, First Prize Winners and Runners-up will be based equally upon the following criteria: overall presentation, creativity and originality while addressing the selected topic ("Selection Criteria").
- First Prize Winners get the opportunity to participate as their school's Campus iReporter ("Campus iReporter") to document CNN's Black in America Tour stop at their campus and shoot footage for a video report ("Video Report"). Video Report must be at least 1 minute in length and no longer that 10 minutes. Should the First Prize Winner not be available or decline to be the Campus iReporter for any reason, the Runner-up will be selected as the First Prize Winner and will receive the iReporter opportunity and video camera mentioned below. Should the Runner-up also not be willing or able to serve as the Campus iReporter no futher alternate will be selected.
- First Prize Winners must submit their Video Report to www.cnn.com/blackinamerica/HBCUtour by 11:59 pm EST on the following deadlines for each respective School in order to be eligible for the grand prize:
Florida A&M April 23, 2008
North Carolina A&T April 25, 2008
Hampton University May 1, 2008
NC Central University April 26, 2008
Howard University May 3, 2008
Atlanta University Center May 6, 2008
- o One (1) Grand Prize Winner ("Grand Prize Winner") will be selected from among all First Prize Winners by the Judges based on the Selection Criteria of their Video Report. Grand Prize Winner will be selected on or about June 13, 2008.
The decision of the judges will be final and binding in all matters. The odds of winning will depend on the total number of eligible entries received during the Promotional Period. Winners will be confirmed by U.S. mail, e-mail and/or telephone and must meet all eligibility requirements including the timely execution and return of all necessary releases and documents (if any) required by Sponsor.
Essay and Video Report must be the entrant's original creation and may not contain any third party material. Neither Essay nor Video Report may not have been published previously or won any other award, and the right to submit it must not be restricted. Neither Essay nor Video Report can defame or invade publicity rights or privacy of any person, living or deceased, or otherwise infringe upon any person's personal or proprietary rights including but not limited to copyrights or trademarks. With respect to the Essay and Video Report, participants hereby irrevocably grant Sponsor the non-exclusive, perpetual, worldwide right to use the Essay and Video Report, in whole or in part, alone or in combination with other material, or as a basis for new material, as Sponsor may determine in its sole discretion and for the purposes of programming, advertising and marketing. Without limiting the generality of the foregoing, participants agree that the rights granted hereunder shall include, but not be limited to, the perpetual, worldwide right of Sponsor and its designees to use, edit, telecast, cablecast, rerun, record, publish, reproduce, license, print, distribute and/or otherwise exploit, in any language and in all media now known or hereafter devised, the Essay and Video Report in whole or in part, without any further compensation to participant. Participants may be required to execute any documents necessary to perfect such rights in the Sponsor.
4. PRIZES:The Grand Prize Winner will receive a 4 day/3 night trip to New Orleans, Louisiana for two (2) people to attend the Essence Music Festival July 4, 2008 through July 6, 2008, at an approximate retail value ("ARV") of Two Thousand Six Hundred Seventy Dollars ($2,670.00). The Grand Prize includes the following: (a) round trip coach class airfare from the major U.S. gateway airport nearest the Grand Prize Winner's residence to a New Orleans, Louisiana area airport; (b) double occupancy standard hotel accommodations for two (2) (one (1) room) at a hotel in the New Orleans area for three (3) nights (chosen by Sponsor); (c) two (2) tickets to the Essence Music Festival; and (d) Five Hundred Dollars ($500.00) spending money. Actual value of Grand Prize may vary based on point of departure. The Grand Prize Winner is responsible for all costs and expenses not expressly provided for above, including additional ground transportation, additional meals, incidentals, tips, telephone calls, souvenirs, other personal expenses and hotel charges incurred during the trip. All travel arrangements must be made through Sponsor's agent. Sponsor reserves the right to approve any travel dates and trip must be taken on or around July 4, 2008 - July 6, 2008 (or date of the scheduled music festival) or such prize will be forfeited. Sponsor is not responsible for any travel related delays or cancellations. Grand Prize Winner and guest are responsible for obtaining proper documentation (e.g., valid photo ID) prior to travel. All prize details are at Sponsor's sole discretion.
Six (6) First Prize Winners will each receive a digital video camera, at an ARV of Five Hundred Dollars ($560.00) each.
Six (6) Runners-up will each receive CNN premium items at an ARV of Twenty Dollars ($20.00)
TOTAL ARV OF PROMOTION: Six Thousand One Hundred Fifty Dollars ($6,150.00).
No substitution or transfer of prizes or cash redemptions permitted by the Winner. Sponsor reserves the right to substitute for any reason whatsoever a prize (or portion thereof) of comparable or greater value, at their sole discretion. Prize is awarded "as is" with no warranty or guarantee, either expressed or implied by the Sponsors. Winners are responsible for the reporting and payment of all taxes (if any) as well as any other costs and expenses associated with acceptance and use of prize not specified herein as being awarded.
5. GENERAL RULES AND REGULATIONS: By entering this Promotion, participants grant Promotion Entities and their designees the right, unless prohibited by law, to use their names, cities and states of residences, voices, pictures and likenesses, without compensation, notification or approval, for the purpose of advertising and publicizing the goods and services of the Promotion Entities and all matters related to the Promotion, in any manner or medium, now or hereafter known, throughout the world in perpetuity. Grand Prize Winner's travel companion must be a legal US resident and of legal age of majority in his/her state of residence (and at least age 18). Grand Prize Winner's travel companion will be required to execute and return a liability/publicity release prior to travel. Winners may each be required to execute an affidavit of eligibility, liability release, tax acknowledgment form and, except where prohibited by law, a publicity release and return within five (5) business days of issuance of notification. Noncompliance within this time period or failure of potential winner to respond after three (3) notification attempts may result in disqualification and, at Sponsor's discretion, an alternate winner may be selected. If: (i) any prize or prize notification is returned as undeliverable, (ii) a potential winner declines his or her prize, or (iii) a potential winner fails to comply with any of the Official Rules as outlined herein, such potential winner will be disqualified and an alternate winner will be selected by random drawing at the Sponsor's sole discretion. The Promotion Entities expressly disclaim any responsibility and entrants agree to indemnify and hold harmless the Promotion Entities from and against any and all claims, actions, demands and/or liability for injury, damage or loss whatsoever relating to or arising in connection with participation in this Promotion (regardless of the cause of such injury, damage or loss) and/or the delivery and/or subsequent use or misuse of any of the prizes awarded (including any travel or activity related thereto).
Entries generated by script, macro or other automated means will be void. The Promotion Entities are not responsible for misdirected, incomplete, lost, late, illegible, undelivered, inaccurate or delayed entries, or for technical, hardware, or software failures of any kind, lost or unavailable network connections, or failed, incomplete, garbled or delayed computer transmissions or other errors or problems which may limit or affect a person's ability to participate in the Promotion, whether human, mechanical, typographical, printing, electronic, network or otherwise, relating to or in connection with the Promotion, including, without limitation, errors which may occur in connection with the administration of the Promotion, the processing of entries, the announcement of the prizes or in any Promotion-related materials. In the event of sabotage, acts of God, terrorism or threats thereof, computer virus or other events or causes beyond the Sponsors' control, which corrupt the integrity, administration, security or proper operation of the Promotion, Sponsors reserve the right, in their sole discretion, to modify, cancel or suspend the Promotion. In the event of cancellation, Sponsors reserve the right to award prizes from among all eligible, non-suspect entries received prior to the event requiring such cancellation. False or deceptive entries or acts will render the entrant ineligible. All Essays, Video Reports, and entries become the property of the Sponsors and will not be acknowledged or returned.
6. OFFICIAL RULES OR WINNERS' LIST: For a copy of the Official Rules or the Winners List (available on or about May 1, 2008), send a self-addressed, stamped envelope to the following address by May 15, 2008 (Please specify "Official Rules" or "Winners") — "The Black in America HBCU Tour Campus iReporter Contest," One CNN Center, NT1314F, Atlanta, Georgia 30303.
SPONSOR:Cable News Network, Inc., One CNN Center, Atlanta, Georgia 30303.
© 2008 Cable News Network. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved.