Web posted on:
Today's buzz stories:
WASHINGTON (CNN) -- The Library of Congress on Monday added 25 movies to its National Film Registry, including Dennis Hopper's 1969 counterculture classic "Easy Rider" and Sydney Pollack's 1982 cross-dressing comedy "Tootsie."
The registry was created by Congress in 1988 to celebrate American cinema and to call attention to the need to preserve films. Other notable films added this year were the little 1928 animated film "Steamboat Willie," in which Mickey Mouse made his talking-picture debut for Disney; the 1967 Bob Dylan documentary "Don't Look Back"; the 1931 James Cagney gangster film "The Public Enemy"; and the 1971 coming-of-age-in-Texas story "The Last Picture Show."
The films were selected by Librarian of Congress James Billington based on about 1,000 nominations by the public, historians and film critics. A film must be at least 10 years old to be considered; 250 films are now listed.
Others picked for the list: "The Bride of Frankenstein," 1935; "The City," 1939; "Dead Birds," 1964; "42nd Street," 1933; "From the Manger to the Cross," 1912; "Gun Crazy" (also called "Deadly is the Female"), 1949; "The Hitch-Hiker," 1953; "The Immigrant," 1917; "Little Miss Marker," 1934; "The Lost World," 1925; "Modesta," 1956; "The Ox-Bow Incident," 1943; "Pass the Gravy," 1928; "The Phantom of the Opera," 1925; "Powers of Ten," 1978; "Sky High," 1922; "Tacoma Narrows Bridge Collapse," 1940; "Twelve O'Clock High," 1949; and "Westinghouse Works," 1904.
NEW YORK (CNN) -- "Roger and Me" filmmaker Michael Moore won't be allowed to shoot his cable TV satire program on city streets until he resolves harassment charges filed against him by a target of the show, the Daily News reports.
A lawsuit by millionaire Ira Rennert made the city pull the plug on "The Awful Truth," shown on the Bravo channel, Moore said. The suit charges that the filmmaker, who ripped General Motors in his 1989 film "Roger and Me," harassed Rennert's Park Avenue neighbors and sent a camera crew to his Long Island estate to embarrass him. Moore denies the lawsuit's allegations and says he might file a countersuit so he can resume shooting, calling the latest development "an absurd violation of our First Amendment rights."
CHICAGO (CNN) -- The Rolling Stones will kick off a 24-city U.S. tour in Oakland, California, on January 25, the band announced on Monday. The "No Security" tour, named after the band's seventh live record, will feature a round stage and each concert will be held in covered arenas. It's the first time in more than two decades that the Stones' tour has not included stops in outdoor stadiums.
There has been talk that ticket prices for the smaller venues will skyrocket. "The Stones had a fantastic time playing the arena shows," said tour promoter Michael Cohl. "Playing arenas like Madison Square Garden reminded the band of how much they enjoyed that kind of intimacy with the audiences."
MIAMI (CNN) -- Cuban-born jazz trumpet virtuoso Arturo Sandoval has finally been granted U.S. citizenship, authorities said Tuesday. Sandoval had been denied citizenship for three years because he once belonged to Cuba's Communist Party.
"I am happy because finally justice came out, and I never lost my hope in justice," said Sandoval, 49, who has won three Grammy awards. He was granted permanent U.S. residency in 1990 and petitioned for citizenship in 1995, but was turned down twice. The Immigration & Naturalization Service rejected his citizenship petition because of a federal statute that says anyone who "is or was a member of, or was affiliated with, the Communist Party" in the 10 years before submitting a petition is not entitled to U.S. citizenship. Sandoval had checked off the "yes" box next to the application question about Communist Party affiliation.
Sandoval has always maintained that he agreed to join the Communist Party three months before defecting from Cuba so he would not draw attention to his departure with his wife Marianela and son Arturo, Jr. He will be sworn in by INS officials in Miami on December 7.
(CNN) -- Cindy Crawford is once again showing her flair for self-promotion. The supermodel on Monday launched her own official Web site, www.cindy.com. As part of the site's kick-off, Crawford held a live Internet chat with fans, during which she revealed what led her to create this site.
"I learned that there are a lot of unofficial sites out there," she said. "Some are nice, some are a bit different. I guess I just wanted my fans to have a first stop, a place to go for the real information about me ... childhood photos, charities that I'm involved in." Web fans can also join cindy.com -- for a $29.95 subscription. The site says the cost pays for "an exclusive cindy.com CD-ROM, an autographed photo, and unlimited access to all of cindy.com, including many never-before-seen pictures and Members Only areas."
Reuters contributed to this report.
Back to the top
© 2000 Cable News Network. All Rights Reserved.
Terms under which this service is provided to you.
Read our privacy guidelines.