Wednesday, May 02, 2007
Schneider: The political calculations of immigration
Politicians look at these demonstrations and ask "how many of these people are voters who are likely to vote this issue? And how many people on the other side are voters likely to vote this issue?"
Politicians look at demonstrators demanding legalization and see voters. Maybe not voters right now, but future voters. Latinos who are voting right now tend to favor Democrats, and Democrats see Latinos as the key to an emerging Democratic majority.
About the CNN Political TickerThe CNN Political Ticker provides the latest political news.
To sign up for our twice daily Ticker emails, visit CNN.com member services page. If you do not have a CNN.com account, you can register here.
If you have any feedback, suggestions or news tips, drop us a line here.
NEW IN THE TICKER• Raw Politics: McCain's good news, New Hampshire de...
• Immigration compromise continues to elude lawmaker...
• Bush veto forces Dems to weigh difficult concessio...
• CNN Political Ticker AM
• Bush vetoes less than most presidents
• Bush vetoes war-spending bill with Iraq withdrawal...
• McCain pulling ahead of Giuliani, Edwards ahead in...
• Sen. Brownback...Girl Scout?
• Reid, Pelosi send Iraq bill to President Bush
• Interior Department official accused of meddling i...