Thursday, May 10, 2007
Romney's wife donated to Planned Parenthood
WASHINGTON (CNN) -- Ann Romney, the wife of GOP presidential candidate Mitt Romney, wrote a $150 check to Planned Parenthood in 1994, a Romney spokesman told CNN Wednesday.
Ann Romney donated $150 to Planned Parenthood 13 years ago, but the Romneys gave $15,000 to anti-abortion group in 2006.
It was the second time this week that a GOP presidential campaign found itself involved in flap over long-ago donations to Planned Parenthood, a group which offers abortions at its affiliated health clinics and advocates for abortion rights.
But "because it was so long ago, Mrs. Romney has no information about the circumstances of the donation," said spokesman Kevin Madden, who noted that the former Massachusetts governor and his wife made a much larger and more recent donation - $15,000 -- to an anti-abortion group, Massachusetts Citizens for Life, last November.
About the CNN Political TickerThe CNN Political Ticker provides the latest political news.
To sign up for our twice daily Ticker emails, visit CNN.com member services page. If you do not have a CNN.com account, you can register here.
If you have any feedback, suggestions or news tips, drop us a line here.
NEW IN THE TICKER• Strategy Session: Surprise visit to Iraq
• Henry: Cheney's 'bad cop' act in Iraq
• Raw Politics: Presidential candidates hidden talen...
• GOP lawmakers to Bush: Fix Iraq
• Romney v. Sharpton on Mormon comment
• U.S. attorneys probe shifts to Rove
• CNN Political Ticker AM
• Romney: Sharpton's comment 'bigoted'
• Blunt slams Dems' new Iraq bill, Pelosi criticizes...
• Senate Dems set sights on gas prices