Thursday, May 24, 2007
New Jersey governor: 'I should be dead'
"I'm New Jersey Governor Jon Corzine...and I should be dead," Corzine begins the public service announcement that premiered Thursday. The governor was not wearing a seatbelt last month when his SUV was involved in a high speed accident, breaking his leg, 11 ribs, his collarbone and his sternum.
"I set a very poor example for a lot of young people," Corzine said when he was discharged from the hospital following his injuries. He voluntarily agreed to pay the state's $46 fine for not wearing a seatbelt.
"I have to live with my mistake. You don't. Buckle up," Corzine concludes in the public service announcement.
About the CNN Political TickerThe CNN Political Ticker provides the latest political news.
To sign up for our twice daily Ticker emails, visit CNN.com member services page. If you do not have a CNN.com account, you can register here.
If you have any feedback, suggestions or news tips, drop us a line here.
NEW IN THE TICKER• Romney 'shocked' by Edwards 'War on Terror' commen...
• Clinton dances, asks voters to pick song
• Schumer: Gonzales will face no-confidence vote
• GOP opponent assigns Giuliani homework
• Giuliani: Dems in denial over 'War on Terror'
• Brownback touts support from 'Roe'
• Gallup: Giuliani, Edwards lead in favorability rat...
• Bush supports provisions of war-funding bill
• When politicians say bad words
• Dems in tough spot with war funding bill