Tuesday, May 01, 2007
McConnell's office highlights Biden's blunt talk on Bush's veto threat
WASHINGTON (CNN) -- Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell's, R-Kentucky, office is highlighting a YouTube video that shows Sen. Joe Biden, D-Delaware, delivering some blunt words about what Democrats will do if President Bush vetoes the Iraq spending bill.
Biden's comments came at an event in South Carolina last Friday.
"We're going to shove it down his throat," Biden, who is seeking his party's presidential nomination, is shown telling a potential supporter last week in a YouTube clip that McConnell's office sent to reporters on Tuesday. Biden's comments were captured by CSPAN.
In the video, Biden also told the potential supporter he would make sure any spending bill sent to the president includes money to fund more "Mine Resistant Ambush Protected" (MRAP) Humvees, a type with a V-shaped bottom that he says provides more protection than a standard Humvee.
"The idea that we're not building new Humvees with the V-shaped things is just crap, man." Biden is heard saying in the video. "Kids are dying that don't have to die."
Marion Steinfels, a spokeswoman for the Biden's presidential campaign, says Biden's blunt language is a reflection of the fact that "he's very serious about this -- he's going to do what it takes to get the MRAPs funded."
-- CNN's Ted Barret and Alexander Mooney
About the CNN Political TickerThe CNN Political Ticker provides the latest political news.
To sign up for our twice daily Ticker emails, visit CNN.com member services page. If you do not have a CNN.com account, you can register here.
If you have any feedback, suggestions or news tips, drop us a line here.
NEW IN THE TICKER• Bush will make a statement after receiving Iraq sp...
• Clinton to attend Democratic debate in New Hampshi...
• Crowley: Immigration and the road to the White Hou...
• Strategy Session: Tenet's new book
• Democratic presidential hopefuls chide Bush on "Mi...
• Lieberman: Third-party candidate could emerge
• Bush visits CENTCOM to discuss operations in Iraq,...
• Schneider: Votes, contributors make California a k...
• Gonzales 'internal order' gave firing authority to...
• Bush reiterates vow to veto war funding bill