Tuesday, May 08, 2007
Congress probes allegations of politicized hiring
WASHINGTON (CNN) -- Congressional investigators are looking into new allegations a top official at the Justice Department illegally hired career lawyers based on their political affiliations.
Vermont Democrat Patrick Leahy is chairman of the Senate Judiciary Committee, which on Monday questioned Bradley Schlozman about his handling of voter-fraud cases.
Investigators are focusing on Bradley Schlozman, a former top official in the department's Civil Rights Division, who recently returned to Washington after serving as interim U.S. attorney in Kansas City, Missouri.
About the CNN Political TickerThe CNN Political Ticker provides the latest political news.
To sign up for our twice daily Ticker emails, visit CNN.com member services page. If you do not have a CNN.com account, you can register here.
If you have any feedback, suggestions or news tips, drop us a line here.
NEW IN THE TICKER• Clinton refuses to cede 'home turf'
• CNN Political Ticker AM
• Poll: Clinton gets significant boost over Obama
• House Dems tackle new Iraq bill
• White House prepares a 'royal dinner'
• McCain names new political director
• Poll: Giuliani, McCain lead the pack
• Poll: Bush approval stands at 38%
• Obama sees similarities with the Chicago Bulls
• Bill Clinton pens NY Times' crossword puzzle