Sunday, May 20, 2007
Bilbray: Senate bill will cause 'next big wave' of illegal immigrants
WASHINGTON (CNN) -- The Senate's new immigration bill will cause "the next big wave" of illegal immigration, according to Rep. Brian Bilbray, R-California, chairman of the House Immigration Reform Caucus.
Bilbray said on CNN's Late Edition with Wolf Blitzer Sunday that he wants more punishment for the employers of illegal immigrants in the new legislation; otherwise it "is absolutely absurd thinking you're going to control the border when you're encouraging a whole new wave to come in."
But Bilbray did think the immigration bill might make it through Congress and into law "if big business is able to basically put the pressure on and say, we give you Republicans a lot of money."
--CNN Late Edition Producer Ted Metzger
About the CNN Political TickerThe CNN Political Ticker provides the latest political news.
To sign up for our twice daily Ticker emails, visit CNN.com member services page. If you do not have a CNN.com account, you can register here.
If you have any feedback, suggestions or news tips, drop us a line here.
NEW IN THE TICKER• Chertoff: 'Tempers got hot'
• Romney ad decries 'amnesty' for illegal immigrants...
• Martinez to Florida: Don't move up primary
• Pelosi: We will pass an Iraq bill by Memorial Day
• Obama and Brownback team up on Iran bill
• 'Raw Politics' tonight: Dems v. Bush on Iraq, Iowa...
• Gonzales avoids controversies at awards ceremony
• No deal on war spending bill
• Clinton, Edwards, Obama neck and neck in Iowa
• Berger relinquishes law license