Friday, April 27, 2007
Waxman invites Tenet to testify at Iraq hearing
WASHINGTON (CNN) -- Rep. Henry Waxman, chairman of the Committee on Oversight and Government Reform, invited former CIA director George Tenet to testify at a hearing on the steps leading up to the war with Iraq.
"The purpose of the hearing is to learn your views about one of the claims used to justify the war in Iraq -- the assertion that Iraq sought to import uranium from Niger -- and related issues," Waxman said in a letter to Tenet.
The hearing is scheduled for May 10.
In recent interviews preceding the publication of his book on Iraq war intelligence, Tenet is reportedly critical of Vice President Dick Cheney's role in the run-up to the war and accuses the Bush administration of misusing his comments to tarnish his reputation. The book, "At the Center of the Storm," will be released Monday.
-- CNN Associate Producer Lauren Kornreich
About the CNN Political TickerThe CNN Political Ticker provides the latest political news.
To sign up for our twice daily Ticker emails, visit CNN.com member services page. If you do not have a CNN.com account, you can register here.
If you have any feedback, suggestions or news tips, drop us a line here.
NEW IN THE TICKER• Renzi not resigning
• Statement from Edwards Campaign:
• Bush: Patience on North Korea 'not unlimited'
• Spitzer says Clinton would be 'amazing president,'...
• McGreeveys appear in divorce court
• Richardson gave Gonzales chance to defend himself ...
• Dean expresses condolences over Valenti's death
• CNN Political Ticker AM
• Campaign surrogates 'left a little unsatisfied'
• Elizabeth Edwards talks up husband.