Wednesday, April 11, 2007
Thompson says disease won't affect life expectancy
The "Law and Order" star and potential GOP presidential candidate wrote on RedState.com's blog that he has had "no illness ... or even any symptoms" from the type of cancer, which is described in greater detail in the post by Georgetown University oncologist Bruce D. Cheson.
The Tennessee Republican also noted John and Elizabeth Edwards' "courageous battle" against cancer, a disease he termed "non-partisan."
This is Thompson's second post on RedState in a week. A post last weekend on the topic of Iran fueled speculation about a presidential bid from the former senator.
Today's disclosure indicates "his seriousness as a potential candidate," according to former Sen. Bill Frist -- a supporter of a Thompson bid. On his own blog, Frist today urged readers to "continue to post your statements encouraging Fred to run so that I can share them with him."
-- CNN Internet Reporter Abbi Tatton
About the CNN Political TickerThe CNN Political Ticker provides the latest political news.
To sign up for our twice daily Ticker emails, visit CNN.com member services page. If you do not have a CNN.com account, you can register here.
If you have any feedback, suggestions or news tips, drop us a line here.
NEW IN THE TICKER• Senate votes to loosen stem-cell research rules; b...
• Dodd: I'd consider going back on Imus' show
• Giuliani: We've won the traditional war already
• Doctor: Thompson's lymphoma in remission
• Senate Dems invite Bush to the Hill
• Clinton site highlights Imus controversy
• Strategy Session: Obama-Clinton or Clinton-Obama?
• Congressional investigators question Justice Dept....
• McCain: Enemies 'cheering' over Dems' withdrawal t...
• Dropping out of the electoral college