Tuesday, April 10, 2007
Reid: 'We are speaking for the American people, he isn't'
"We're ... determined to provide the troops a strategy for success, which the president has failed to do since the start of this war more than four years ago," Reid said at a Capitol Hill press conference.
Reid also said, "American troops are putting their lives at risk every day. They deserve a strategy worthy of their sacrifices, not the political rhetoric the president's offering, which he again offered today."
"We are speaking for the American people, he isn't," he added.
According to a Democratic leadership aide, Reid and House Speaker Nancy Pelosi, D-California, are prepared to reject Bush's invitation to come to the White House unless he drops what they describe as "preconditions" for that meeting, including his vow to veto any bill that includes a withdrawal deadline.
White House spokeswoman Dana Perino told reporters next week's talks would be discussions and "not a negotiation."
-- CNN'S Andrea Koppel and KD Fabian contributed to this report
About the CNN Political TickerThe CNN Political Ticker provides the latest political news.
To sign up for our twice daily Ticker emails, visit CNN.com member services page. If you do not have a CNN.com account, you can register here.
If you have any feedback, suggestions or news tips, drop us a line here.
NEW IN THE TICKER• House committee subpoenas U.S. attorney documents
• Tancredo: 'Dog's' best friend
• Bush says he will meet with leaders of both partie...
• Schneider: Could Bush 'triangulate' on immigration...
• McCain touts support from four former secretaries ...
• Sharpton: Imus must go
• Romney plans call for more robust defense spending...
• White House unofficial e-mail accounts draw scruti...
• Strategy Session: Iraq four years later
• Obama tells Letterman he's not in race for VP