Wednesday, April 25, 2007
Hunter calls for Reid to step down over 'war is lost' remarks
WASHINGTON (CNN) -- Rep. Duncan Hunter called Wednesday for Sen. Harry Reid to resign his post as Senate majority leader over remarks that the senator made last week that the war in Iraq "is lost" if the United States continues on its current policy.
Hunter said Wednesday he thinks Sen. Reid should step down as the Senate majority leader.
Hunter, a candidate for the Republican presidential nomination, is the ranking member of the House Armed Services Committee.
"In my opinion Sen. Reid, having made that statement, which can only have a demoralizing effect on our troops and an effect of encouragement of the adversary, I think it would be appropriate for Sen. Reid to resign his position as the leader of the United States Senate," he said.
Reid made his remarks Thursday, prompting an angry backlash from Republicans.
About the CNN Political TickerThe CNN Political Ticker provides the latest political news.
To sign up for our twice daily Ticker emails, visit CNN.com member services page. If you do not have a CNN.com account, you can register here.
If you have any feedback, suggestions or news tips, drop us a line here.
NEW IN THE TICKER• Romney begins national TV ad campaign
• It's official: McCain is in the race
• Pryor renews call for Gonzales to step down after ...
• Senate Judiciary Committee subpoenas White House p...
• Burnett, MySpace to launch political reality show
• House Judiciary Committee authorizes grant of immu...
• Obama rebukes Giuliani for suggesting Dems' electi...
• Hip hop hypocrisy?
• War of words on Capitol Hill
• Pelosi misses Petraeus' congressional Iraq briefin...