Monday, March 19, 2007
Thompson planning campaign kick-off
WASHINGTON (CNN) -- Former Wisconsin Gov. Tommy Thompson has decided to officially enter the race for the GOP presidential nomination, and has tentatively picked Wednesday, April 4, to make an official announcement, according to a campaign aide.
Details for the announcement, including the location, have not been finalized.
The former Health and Human Services Secretary set up a presidential exploratory committee in December and a filed a statement of candidacy with the Federal Election Commission in January.
Thompson will be a guest Tuesday on "The Situation Room with Wolf Blitzer" at 4 p.m. ET.
-- CNN Political Research Director Robert Yoon
About the CNN Political TickerThe CNN Political Ticker provides the latest political news.
To sign up for our twice daily Ticker emails, visit CNN.com member services page. If you do not have a CNN.com account, you can register here.
If you have any feedback, suggestions or news tips, drop us a line here.
NEW IN THE TICKER• Justices hear 'Bong Hits 4 Jesus' case
• Too cute to be president?
• McCain calls for better care for veterans
• Giuliani recruits GOP communication veterans
• Iraq: Four years later
• 2008 presidential hopefuls launch MySpace profiles...
• Video-sharing might benefit lesser-known candidate...
• Leahy: No more 'half-truths' about fired prosecuto...
• Poll: Anti-war sentiment grows in Americans 50 and...
• Official: Bush will deliver brief address on 4th a...