Friday, March 30, 2007
Sen. Clinton confronts McCain over blocked 9/11 funds
WASHINGTON (CNN) -- Sen. Hillary Rodham Clinton, described as frustrated and animated, confronted presidential rival Sen. John McCain on the Senate floor after he blocked funding for a 9/11 responders' health care program, people familiar with the encounter told CNN.
Clinton, D-New York, has worked for years to secure funding for the program, a $45 million amendment added to the $120 billion-plus emergency funding bill for the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan.
"She got pretty hot about it," a Senate appropriations committee aide said about Thursday's encounter. "She went over to him and was trying to convince [McCain] it was a needed program, an important program, and was rebuffed."
About the CNN Political TickerThe CNN Political Ticker provides the latest political news.
To sign up for our twice daily Ticker emails, visit CNN.com member services page. If you do not have a CNN.com account, you can register here.
If you have any feedback, suggestions or news tips, drop us a line here.
NEW IN THE TICKER• Is Thompson what the GOP is waiting for?
• White House has new plan for immigration
• 9/11 could pose challenges for Giuliani's '08 run
• CNN Political Ticker AM
• Sampson reveals he once suggested firing Patrick F...
• DOJ agrees on transcribed interviews with House co...
• Romney lists some potential running mates during S...
• Lieberman: Soldiers 'more confident' in Iraq
• Giuliani says if elected, wife would attend Cabine...
• Dobson: Thompson needs to 'communicate his religio...