Friday, March 02, 2007
McCain wins Spartanburg straw poll
WASHINGTON (CNN) -- Arizona Sen. John McCain won a Spartanburg, South Carolina straw poll Friday, an early sign of how conservative South Carolinians might view the GOP presidential field.
McCain beat former New York City Mayor Rudy Giuliani by two votes, 164-162, according to Spartanburg County GOP chairman Rick Beltram. California Rep. Duncan Hunter came in third with 158 votes.
A total of 776 people voted in the straw poll.
Arizona Sen. John McCain: 164
Former New York City Mayor Rudy Giuliani: 162
California Rep. Duncan Hunter: 158
Kansas Sen. Sam Brownback: 85
Former Massachusetts Gov. Mitt Romney: 80
Former House Speaker Newt Gingrich: 33 (write-in)
Former Arkansas Gov. Mike Huckabee: 21
Colorado Rep. Tom Tancredo: 10
Attorney John Cox: 4
Texas Rep. Ron Paul: 4
Secretary of state Condoleezza Rice: 2 (write-in)
Former Virginia Gov. Jim Gilmore: 1
Former Health and Human Services Secretary Tommy Thompson: 1
Sanders (the party was unable to identify this candidate): 1 (write-in)
-- CNN Ticker Producer Alexander Mooney
About the CNN Political TickerThe CNN Political Ticker provides the latest political news.
To sign up for our twice daily Ticker emails, visit CNN.com member services page. If you do not have a CNN.com account, you can register here.
If you have any feedback, suggestions or news tips, drop us a line here.
NEW IN THE TICKER• Brownback at CPAC: Roe v. Wade should be overturne...
• Giuliani stresses freedom, shared beliefs at CPAC
• Judge writes disappointment that Libby did not tes...
• No public funding pledge for Edwards
• Huckabee at CPAC: 'Dude, where's my candidate?'
• Obama's white ancestors may have owned slaves
• Hunter at CPAC: 'Let's build this fence'
• Giuliani leads GOP candidates in conservative Sout...
• McCain to raise private general election funds, bu...
• CNN Political Ticker AM