Wednesday, March 28, 2007
McCain praises Fred Thompson
WASHINGTON (CNN) -- Arizona Republican Sen. John McCain praised former Tennessee Sen. Fred Thompson Tuesday, after a new poll showed the current "Law and Order" star enjoys double-digit support.
"I often said if I had his voice, I'd be president of the United States today," McCain told CNN's Wolf Blitzer. "And people, at least 12 percent, should support him. He's already been president in several movies. He's a wonderful man, and has led this country very well." (Watch video: CNN's Wolf Blitzer interviews Sen. McCain)
"We're still in spring training, Wolf. We're just getting off the dime here," McCain added. "I guarantee you, there's going to be so many ups and downs around here that it's going to be a roller coaster and a lot of fun to watch."
A USA Today/Gallup poll released Tuesday shows Former New York City Mayor Rudy Giuliani with 31 percent, McCain with 22 percent, and Thompson with 12 percent. The poll carries a margin of error of plus or minus five percentage points.
-- CNN Ticker Producer Alexander Mooney
About the CNN Political TickerThe CNN Political Ticker provides the latest political news.
To sign up for our twice daily Ticker emails, visit CNN.com member services page. If you do not have a CNN.com account, you can register here.
If you have any feedback, suggestions or news tips, drop us a line here.
NEW IN THE TICKER• MoveOn organizes '08 cyberspace forums
• CNN Political Ticker AM
• McCain: New Iraq strategy 'succeeding as we speak'...
• Senate keeps call for Iraq pullout in spending bil...
• Hagel says America needs Iraq exit strategy
• Clinton promises to aid Vilsack with campaign debt...
• Obama secures endorsement from BET co-founder
• McCain draws praise, but no endorsement, from Flor...
• Webb calls aide's arrest on weapons charges 'unfor...
• War protesters disrupt presidential forum