Tuesday, March 13, 2007
Gonzales: 'Mistakes were made' in U.S. attorneys' firings
WASHINGTON (CNN) -- Attorney General Alberto Gonzales said Tuesday that "mistakes were made" regarding the firing of eight U.S. attorneys and he accepts responsibility for the ordeal.
"My pledge to the American people is to find out what went wrong here," he said. "As we can all imagine, in an organization of 110,000 people, I am not aware of every bit of information that passes through the halls of justice, nor am I aware of all decisions."
However, despite calls for his resignation, Gonzales said he was not stepping down.
About the CNN Political TickerThe CNN Political Ticker provides the latest political news.
To sign up for our twice daily Ticker emails, visit CNN.com member services page. If you do not have a CNN.com account, you can register here.
If you have any feedback, suggestions or news tips, drop us a line here.
NEW IN THE TICKER• Clinton resurrects 'vast right-wing conspiracy'
• Johnson's office releases photos of senator's reco...
• Sharpton blames Obama camp for 'jealous' allegatio...
• Top general: Remarks on gays were 'personal moral ...
• White House implicated in firings, Democrats say
• Dennis Miller endorses Giuliani
• Strategy Session: Giuliani's lead over McCain grow...
• Attorney: Washington 'madam' reaches deal with med...
• Biden launches anti-war Web site
• Frist tout's Thompson's potential presidential run...