Thursday, March 08, 2007
Boehner says Dems' Iraq proposal is "failure at any cost"
WASHINGTON (CNN) -- House Minority Leader John Boehner, R-Ohio, sharply criticized on Thursday a new proposal by House Democrat's that calls for all U.S. troops out of Iraq by August 2008, saying it is "an old twist on an old adage."
"Unfortunately, the Democrats latest plan is an old twist on an old adage: failure at any cost," he said in a Capitol Hill press conference. "Democrats are using the critical troop funding bill to micromanage the war on terror -- undermining our generals on the ground and slowly choking off resources for our troops.
"By establishing and telegraphing to our enemy arbitrary timelines for withdrawal, democrats are mandating failure," he added.
Earlier Thursday Pelosi called the plan, which sets defined time tables, "will refocus our military efforts on Afghanistan and fighting the war on terrorism where it began."
-- CNN's Alexander Mooney and Hida Fouladvand
About the CNN Political TickerThe CNN Political Ticker provides the latest political news.
To sign up for our twice daily Ticker emails, visit CNN.com member services page. If you do not have a CNN.com account, you can register here.
If you have any feedback, suggestions or news tips, drop us a line here.
NEW IN THE TICKER• Democrats' plan could put deadline on Iraq pullout...
• Lieberman calls a Hagel run 'fascinating'
• House Democrats push two options to get U.S. troop...
• Obama pays parking tickets: 17 years late
• McCain praises potential rival Hagel
• Democratic hopefuls help to pay for South Carolina...
• CNN Political Ticker AM
• Hagel could announce presidential bid Monday
• Does Tiger Woods have a political future?
• AFL-CIO makes push to keep unions united behind on...