Wednesday, March 14, 2007
Biden declares Bush's Iraq policy 'God awful'
WASHINGTON (CNN) -- In an impassioned speech on the on the Senate floor Tuesday, Sen. Joe Biden, D-Delaware, said the president's Iraq policy was "God awful" and directly responded to Sen. John McCain's contention that Democrats who believe the war should end should have the "courage" to cut off funding.
"I'm so tired of hearing this word about courage," Biden said angrily. "Have the courage to tell the administration 'stop this ridiculous policy you have. We're taking sides in a civil war."
Minutes earlier McCain, R-Arizona, said on the floor, "If any senator believes that our troops' sacrifice is truly in vain, the dictates of conscience demand that she or he act to prevent it. Those who would cut off all funding for this war, though I disagree deeply with their position and dread its consequences, have the courage of their convictions, and I respect them for it."
On Monday, Biden launched a new Web site to raise awareness of his efforts to change the president's policy in Iraq.
Both Biden and McCain are seeking their party's presidential nominations.
Watch Video: Watch Biden on the Senate floor
Related Video: McCain says U.S. can't 'walk away' from Iraq
About the CNN Political TickerThe CNN Political Ticker provides the latest political news.
To sign up for our twice daily Ticker emails, visit CNN.com member services page. If you do not have a CNN.com account, you can register here.
If you have any feedback, suggestions or news tips, drop us a line here.
NEW IN THE TICKER• Senators agree to debate Democratic resolution on ...
• Gonzales to go to Capitol Hill 'later this week'
• CNN to partner with CBC Institute for Jan. '08 Dem...
• Bush 'not happy' about Gonzales 'mistakes'
• Clinton starts online petition calling for Gonzale...
• McCain marks 30-year anniversary of release from V...
• Edwards says his campaign is going 'carbon neutral...
• McCain to miss another conservative-activist event...
• Gonzales: 'I did make some mistakes'
• Richardson pitch: Regular guy with extraordinary r...