Monday, February 19, 2007
Bush honors another 'W', says America fulfilling 'promise of her founders'
WASHINGTON (CNN) -- At a ceremony honoring America's first president at his Mount Vernon estate, President Bush praised George Washington's leadership in the American Revolution and drew parallels between that war and the war in Iraq.
"Today we are fighting a new war to defend our liberty, our freedom and our way of life and as we work to advance the cause of freedom around the world we remember that the father of our country believed the freedoms we secured in our revolution were not meant for Americans alone," Bush said.
In his official proclamation of Washington's 275th Birthday, Bush said the first president would see an "America fulfilling the promise of her Founders.
"Today, he would see in America the world's foremost champion of liberty -- a nation that stands for freedom for all, a nation that stands with democratic reformers, and a nation that stands up to tyranny and terror," he said in the proclamation.
-- CNN Ticker Producer Alexander Mooney
About the CNN Political TickerThe CNN Political Ticker provides the latest political news.
To sign up for our twice daily Ticker emails, visit CNN.com member services page. If you do not have a CNN.com account, you can register here.
If you have any feedback, suggestions or news tips, drop us a line here.
NEW IN THE TICKER• Next step for Dems: change war authorization?
• Reid's son signs with Clinton campaign
• CNN Political Ticker AM
• First 2008 presidential candidate hits the air
• President has two moles removed from head; believe...
• Candidates shuffle schedules to make Iraq vote; Mc...
• Somebody "broke the law" in the White House?
• House approves resolution slamming Bush plan for I...
• House nears vote over Bush plan for Iraq
• Former Sen. Breaux may mount run for governor