Wednesday, January 10, 2007
Sen. Graham: 'We cannot afford to lose the war in Iraq'
WASHINGTON (CNN) -- Reacting to President Bush's speech announcing a new strategy in Iraq Sen. Lindsey Graham, R-South Carolina, said Wednesday night he welcomed the president's willingness to admit past mistakes.
"We cannot afford to lose the war in Iraq," Graham said in statement. "President Bush made a very persuasive case for strategy change. I appreciate his willingness to acknowledge past mistakes and chart a new course to achieve victory in Iraq."
"We do not currently have combat capability to 'Clear, Hold, and Build' in parts of the country. And it's clear we never had enough troops to bring about security after the fall of Baghdad," Graham said. "The supplemental combat capability proposed by President Bush will help Iraqis control their streets and rid them of insurgents. It is a much needed change. "
-- CNN.com Senior Political Producer Scott Anderson
About the CNN Political TickerThe CNN Political Ticker provides the latest political news.
To sign up for our twice daily Ticker emails, visit CNN.com member services page. If you do not have a CNN.com account, you can register here.
If you have any feedback, suggestions or news tips, drop us a line here.
NEW IN THE TICKER• Sen. Smith: Bush's new Iraq strategy a 'Hail Mary ...
• McCain satisfied with Bush's surge plan
• Giuliani supports troop surge
• Illinois House speaker wants to help Obama by chan...
• GOP Sen. Voinovich against troop increase
• White House releases excerpts of Bush's Iraq Speec...
• Biden chooses a presidential campaign manager
• House passes minimum wage increase 315-116
• Brownback says troop increase not the answer
• Dean recruits for '08 hours before Bush's Iraq spe...