Thursday, January 18, 2007
Second GOP senator joins opposition to Bush Iraq plan
WASHINGTON (CNN) -- A second Republican senator has agreed to co-sponsor a bipartisan resolution opposing the Bush administration's strategy in Iraq.
"This resolution is an expression of the American people's frustration with our current Iraq policy," Sen. Olympia Snowe, R-Maine said in a statement released Wednesday evening.
"Its focus rightly hinges on a diplomatic and political solution as a military solution is no longer feasible in Iraq," Snowe's statement said.
"An increase in troops will not solve the root causes of violence in Iraq nor do I believe that the Iraqi government has shown the will or the capacity to bring about effective national reconciliation."
About the CNN Political TickerThe CNN Political Ticker provides the latest political news.
To sign up for our twice daily Ticker emails, visit CNN.com member services page. If you do not have a CNN.com account, you can register here.
If you have any feedback, suggestions or news tips, drop us a line here.
NEW IN THE TICKER• Hagel to decide on White House bid 'soon'
• CNN Political Ticker AM
• Obama to introduce legislation to cap troops
• McCain on Dobson: 'I do not intend to call him'
• Edwards to place anti-war ad in Roll Call
• House votes to cut interest rates on student loans...
• '08ers on the trail: Vilsack heads to New Hampshir...
• '08ers on the trail: Dodd to make the rounds in Ne...
• Internet widely used for 2006 election news
• MoveOn.org targets McCain's Iraq plan in new ad bu...