Tuesday, January 23, 2007
Hastert backs Romney's '08 bid
WASHINGTON (CNN) -- Mitt Romney announced Tuesday that former House Speaker Dennis Hastert would join his "Congressional Team" as he continues to weigh a bid for the presidency.
Hastert, who stepped down as the senior House Republican following the midterm elections, is the most well-known congressman to support the former Massachusetts governor's presidential exploratory committee. Hastert called Romney the "right kind of leader for America" in a statement released by the Romney campaign.
Other congressional Republicans to endorse Romney include: Tennessee Rep. Marsha Blackburn, Michigan Rep. Dave Camp, South Carolina Sen. Jim DeMint, Florida Rep. Tom Feeney, Louisiana Rep. Jim McCrery and California Rep. Howard "Buck" McKeon.
-- CNN Political Editor Mark Preston
About the CNN Political TickerThe CNN Political Ticker provides the latest political news.
To sign up for our twice daily Ticker emails, visit CNN.com member services page. If you do not have a CNN.com account, you can register here.
If you have any feedback, suggestions or news tips, drop us a line here.
NEW IN THE TICKER• Bush to call for 20 percent reduction in gasoline ...
• Gore's 'An Inconvenient Truth' gets two Oscar nods...
• Romney calls for tough sanctions against Iran
• Clinton calls husband 'asset' but says she'll make...
• CNN Political Ticker AM
• CNN debunks false report about Obama
• Brownback, Hunter court conservatives at anti-abor...
• Jury set for Libby trial
• Could the line-item veto make a comeback?
• Is Warner reconsidering an '08 bid?