Thursday, January 25, 2007
Durbin calls Cheney comments 'delusional'
WASHINGTON (CNN) -- Senate Majority Whip Dick Durbin, D-Illinois, Thursday sharply rebuked Vice President Dick Cheney's claim of several accomplishments in Iraq, calling comments he made to CNN the day before "delusional."
"To have Vice President Cheney suggest that we have had a series of enormous success in Iraq is delusional," Durbin told reporters. "I don't understand how he can continue to say those things when the president calls them a slow failure." (Listen to Durbin's comments)
In an interview Wednesday with CNN's Wolf Blitzer, Cheney defended the Bush administration's decision to invade Iraq and said it was "exactly the right thing to do."
"There have been three national elections in Iraq, there's a democracy established there, a constitution, a new democratically-elected government," Cheney said. "Saddam has been brought to justice and executed, his sons are dead, his government is gone. And the world is better off for it."
-- CNN Congressional Correspondent Dana Bash
About the CNN Political TickerThe CNN Political Ticker provides the latest political news.
To sign up for our twice daily Ticker emails, visit CNN.com member services page. If you do not have a CNN.com account, you can register here.
If you have any feedback, suggestions or news tips, drop us a line here.
NEW IN THE TICKER• Romney heads to Iowa Friday
• Giuliani heads to New Hampshire this weekend
• Bushes to Attend Alfalfa Club Dinner
• McCain to introduce third Iraq resolution
• Clinton: Bush needs 'suit of armor' for healthcare...
• Obama calls for universal health care within six y...
• Duncan Hunter announces run for 2008 GOP president...
• Clinton camp dismisses Cheney's 'predictions'
• CNN Political Ticker AM
• Senate committee approves Petraeus as Iraq militar...