Wednesday, January 10, 2007
Bush reported to be upset after viewing unauthorized video of Hussein's execution
WASHINGTON (CNN) -- President Bush was upset after viewing the unauthorized video of Saddam Hussein's execution and compared his feelings to the emotions he felt after seeing the photographs of prisoner abuse at Abu Ghraib, White House officials said Wednesday.
Dark, grainy video apparently recorded on a cell phone of Hussein's Dec. 30 hanging was leaked to the media soon after the execution.
Two guards present at the hanging have been detained and questioned in connection with the taping, Iraqi officials have said.
The White House officials reported that the president said his reaction to the taunting directed at Hussein as he stood on the gallows with a noose around his neck was similar to what he felt when he saw the photos of U.S. military personnel abusing naked and restrained prisoners at the Abu Ghraib prison outside of Baghdad.
About the CNN Political TickerThe CNN Political Ticker provides the latest political news.
To sign up for our twice daily Ticker emails, visit CNN.com member services page. If you do not have a CNN.com account, you can register here.
If you have any feedback, suggestions or news tips, drop us a line here.
NEW IN THE TICKER• New speaker orders House to butt out
• Senate Dems to call on Iraq change
• Minimum wage up next in Democrat's '100 hours'
• Brownback travels to Iraq, calls for more Iraqi re...
• Romney calls for more troops in Iraq
• Bush counsel: Iraq must assume more security respo...
• WH: Bush to acknowledge mistakes in Iraq
• CNN Political Ticker AM
• Source: Bush to call for Iraqis to take control by...
• Snow: Dems 'have to make a choice'