Monday, January 29, 2007
Bush: Cheney sees glass 'half full'
WASHINGTON (CNN) -- President Bush defended Vice President Dick Cheney's recent comments to CNN that there have been enormous successes in Iraq, characterizing the vice president as an optimist in an interview Monday with National Public Radio.
"I think that the vice president is a person reflecting the glass half full mentality," Bush said. "In other words, he's been able to look at -- as have I and I hope other Americans -- that the tyrant has been removed, 12 million voted, there's an Iraqi constitution in place that is a model and unique for the Middle East."
Bush also reiterated that he is prepared to respond to Iran if it steps up its actions in Iraq.
"If Iran escalates its military action in Iraq to the detriment of our troops and/or innocent Iraqis, we will respond firmly," Bush said.
-- CNN Ticker Producer Alexander Mooney
About the CNN Political TickerThe CNN Political Ticker provides the latest political news.
To sign up for our twice daily Ticker emails, visit CNN.com member services page. If you do not have a CNN.com account, you can register here.
If you have any feedback, suggestions or news tips, drop us a line here.
NEW IN THE TICKER• Anti-war protesters storm congressional office bui...
• Poll of polls: Bush approval rating at 32 percent
• Giuliani recruits veteran New Hampshire Republican...
• Bush's approval sags to record low in new poll
• Edwards sizes up his presidential prospects
• McCain gets backing from Maine's two senators
• Fleischer to testify in Libby trial
• CNN Political Ticker AM
• Huckabee to file exploratory committee next week
• Pataki against Iraq troop increase, says president...