Wednesday, January 10, 2007
Brownback travels to Iraq, calls for more Iraqi responsibility
WASHINGTON (CNN) -- Fresh off meeting with Iraqi Prime Minister Nuouri al-Maliki in Iraq, Kansas GOP Sen. Sam Brownback said Wednesday the U.S. must cede more responsibilities to the Iraqis.
"While we cannot make a precipitous withdrawal, we can transfer more security responsibility to the Iraqis and reduce the threat to American troops," Brownback, who is seeking the GOP 2008 presidential nomination, said in a statement.
Brownback also met with U.S. Ambassador to Iraq Zalmay Khalilzad and Gens. George Casey and Raymond Odierno.
-- CNN Ticker Producer Alexander Mooney
About the CNN Political TickerThe CNN Political Ticker provides the latest political news.
To sign up for our twice daily Ticker emails, visit CNN.com member services page. If you do not have a CNN.com account, you can register here.
If you have any feedback, suggestions or news tips, drop us a line here.
NEW IN THE TICKER• Romney calls for more troops in Iraq
• Bush counsel: Iraq must assume more security respo...
• WH: Bush to acknowledge mistakes in Iraq
• CNN Political Ticker AM
• Source: Bush to call for Iraqis to take control by...
• Snow: Dems 'have to make a choice'
• Famous Nixon-Elvis meeting remembered
• Norton and Davis introduce bill to give DC a House...
• Kennedy says no to troop surge
• Obama the "rock star"?