Thursday, December 07, 2006
Dean calls for new election in contested House race
WASHINGTON (CNN) -- Calling Florida's District 13 election result "not valid," Democratic National Committee Chairman Howard Dean said there should be a completely new election for the seat being vacated by GOP Rep. Katherine Harris, the St. Petersburg Times reports Thursday.
"This election is not valid," Dean said in a taped interview with Bay News 9, set to air on Sunday, the Times reports. "There are 18,000 people who may have voted, and we don't know what happened to their votes."
"You can bet that if the Republicans were 500 votes short they'd be calling for a new election, and they'd be right," Dean added.
Republican Vern Buchanan was certified the winner of the race by a margin of 369 votes. His Democratic opponent, Christine Jennings, officially contested the result claiming as many as 18,000 votes in Sarasota County may not have been reported.
-- CNN Ticker Producer Alexander Mooney
About the CNN Political TickerThe CNN Political Ticker provides the latest political news.
To sign up for our twice daily Ticker emails, visit CNN.com member services page. If you do not have a CNN.com account, you can register here.
If you have any feedback, suggestions or news tips, drop us a line here.
NEW IN THE TICKER• FEC chairman stepping down
• Incoming Senate Armed Services chairman pledges vi...
• Brownback open to partitioning Iraq
• McCain making '08 moves
• Senators grill ISG chairmen on 'the way forward' i...
• Corzine sees gain in approval rating
• Congress set to reach deal on tax and trade packag...
• McCain gets key support in Utah
• Pelosi to meet with new members of Congressional B...
• Dodd set to unveil banking agenda