Friday, December 08, 2006
Boehner offers parting wisdom to GOP colleagues
WASHINGTON (CNN) -- House Majority Leader John Boehner told his GOP colleagues Friday that for Republicans to reclaim the majority in 2008, they must offer a slate of ideas in the new Congress and return to the party's core principles including a limited government.
The Ohio Republican offered this advice in a five page memo sent to individual lawmakers as the House was preparing to wrap up its business for the year.
"If we want to reclaim our majority, we first have to reclaim our mantle as the party of hope, freedom and reform ... the party of Reagan and Lincoln," Boehner writes in the memo. "As our Democratic counterparts may discover the hard way, having a majority is of limited value if you don't have a vision and a plan for using it."
View the memo
-- CNN Political Editor Mark Preston
About the CNN Political TickerThe CNN Political Ticker provides the latest political news.
To sign up for our twice daily Ticker emails, visit CNN.com member services page. If you do not have a CNN.com account, you can register here.
If you have any feedback, suggestions or news tips, drop us a line here.
NEW IN THE TICKER• House ethics committee releases Foley IMs
• CNN Poll: Bush's approval rating at 37 percent
• Pelosi 'deeply' troubled by committee's findings
• Hastert 'glad' with House ethics committee finding...
• Ahead on CNN
• Committee: GOP leaders broke no rules in Foley mat...
• Ethics panel: No rules broken in Foley case, but R...
• More than a year before primary, two '08 hopefuls ...
• Committee investigating Foley to hold press confer...
• Richardson denies FOX News report of presidential ...