Tuesday, November 07, 2006
Turnout 'very heavy' in Montana
Billings, Montana (CNN) -- Bowen Greenwood, the director of communications for the Montana Secretary of State's Elections office, said that 102,250 absentee ballots had been returned by Monday afternoon out of the 125,293 that were sent out.
There are 645,000 registered voters in Montana.
Voter turnout so far has been "very heavy" as of 2:30 p.m. ET (12:30 p.m. MT), Greenwood said.
"When I voted this morning, the entire ballroom was covered with voters," he said.
Republican Sen. Conrad Burns in a tight race for re-election with Democrat Jon Tester. The outcome of the Montana race could determine the balance of power in the Senate.
--CNN Producer Stan Wilson
About the CNN Political TickerThe CNN Political Ticker provides the latest political news.
To sign up for our twice daily Ticker emails, visit CNN.com member services page. If you do not have a CNN.com account, you can register here.
If you have any feedback, suggestions or news tips, drop us a line here.
NEW IN THE TICKER• Missouri's secretary of state asked for photo ID t...
• Senate race dominates for Tenn. voters
• In divided state legislatures, Dems scramble to ga...
• FBI looking into allegations of deceptive calls to...
• Bush huddles tonight with political advisers
• St. Louis Election Board chairman issues guidance
• Ky. poll worker charged with assault, interfering ...
• Don't leave home without it
• "Incredible" turnout in Chattanooga
• Kean campaign accuses opponent of Election Day tri...