Thursday, November 09, 2006
Senior staffer: Allen 'not emboldened to fight this'
WASHINGTON (CNN) -- As the canvassing continues in Virginia, Sen. George Allen, R-Virginia, is sequestered in his home, "shell shocked," and going through "a nightmare," during this period of limbo, a senior Allen staffer tells CNN.
In a conference call with his senate staff and regional representatives Wednesday afternoon, the Virginia senator "didn't concede but he was clearly not emboldened to fight this," according to the staffer, who spoke on the condition of anonymity.
An Allen loss to his Democratic challenger James Webb, would give Democrats a one seat majority in the Senate.
--CNN Congressional Correspondent Andrea Koppel
About the CNN Political TickerThe CNN Political Ticker provides the latest political news.
To sign up for our twice daily Ticker emails, visit CNN.com member services page. If you do not have a CNN.com account, you can register here.
If you have any feedback, suggestions or news tips, drop us a line here.
NEW IN THE TICKER• Exit polls: GOP lost independents
• Bush and Pelosi try to reconcile
• Senate Democrats to declare majority
• Bush to make a late morning statement
• Fla. House seat appears headed for a recount
• Little change in Va. canvass
• The '08 race for the W.H.: Democrats
• Vilsack to run for president
• CNN Political Ticker AM
• Gates confirmation to move ahead, despite Senate u...