Tuesday, November 28, 2006
Rice schedules talks with Palestinian president
WASHINGTON (CNN) -- U.S. Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice will meet with Palestinian Authority President Mahmoud Abbas in the West Bank this week, U.S. and Palestinian officials said Tuesday.
The meeting will be held Thursday between sessions of a foreign ministers' conference Rice will attend in neighboring Jordan, State Department spokesman Sean McCormack said. The talks will be held in the West Bank city of Jericho, he said.
Chief Palestinian negotiator Saeb Erakat announced the meeting earlier Tuesday.
McCormack said Rice was likely to have other meetings around the Forum for the Future conference and would remain behind after President Bush holds his Wednesday-Thursday talks with Iraqi Prime Minister Nuri al-Maliki. But no talks with Israeli officials have been scheduled yet, he said.
About the CNN Political TickerThe CNN Political Ticker provides the latest political news.
To sign up for our twice daily Ticker emails, visit CNN.com member services page. If you do not have a CNN.com account, you can register here.
If you have any feedback, suggestions or news tips, drop us a line here.
NEW IN THE TICKER• Cheney still in the hunt
• Ahead on CNN
• Pelosi says no to Hastings heading up intelligence...
• Clark says he wants to avoid jumping into '08 camp...
• Senate Armed Services Committee set for Gates hear...
• DeWine to profile Ohio's war dead during last days...
• Administration signals willingness to work with De...
• Top Rice adviser Zelikow announces resignation
• Obama heads to New Hampshire to celebrate Dems' vi...
• Bush touts the flat tax in Estonia