Friday, November 17, 2006
Reid: Gates 'should be confirmed'
WASHINGTON (CNN) -- Senate Minority Leader Harry Reid, D-Nevada, says he expects Defense secretary nominee Robert Gates to easily be confirmed unless something unforeseen emerges during his hearing.
"Unless something comes up toward the hearings, which I don't expect, he should be confirmed," Reid told reporters with Gates at his side. "The one thing he has going for him, and I mentioned that to the Secretary, is we want the change to take place very quickly."
Gates spent the day on Capitol Hill meeting with many key senators ahead of his Senate Armed Service Committee hearing in early December.
-- CNN Ticker Producer Alexander Mooney
About the CNN Political TickerThe CNN Political Ticker provides the latest political news.
To sign up for our twice daily Ticker emails, visit CNN.com member services page. If you do not have a CNN.com account, you can register here.
If you have any feedback, suggestions or news tips, drop us a line here.
NEW IN THE TICKER• House GOP leadership ready to 'earn' back majority...
• Edwards: Kerry's decision will not affect mine
• O'Connor talks about attempt to poison Supreme Cou...
• Family planning appointee stirs controversy
• Gates to meet with Reid
• Bennett named to senate GOP leadership position
• Putnam gets No. 3 House GOP leadership post
• Gates hearing set for next month
• House GOP conservatives go down in defeat
• Social Security privatization called 'off the tabl...