Monday, November 20, 2006
Pelosi says 'no' on Rangel's draft bill
WASHINGTON (CNN) -- Incoming House Speaker Nancy Pelosi, D-California, said Monday Rep. Charlie Rangel's, D-New York, call for a reinstatement of the draft is something he has long championed to promote shared sacrifice. But Pelosi, having just concluded a meeting with incoming House Majority Leader Steny Hoyer, D-Maryland, to discuss the Democratic agenda, said the leadership will not support the measure.
"It's not about a draft it's about shared sacrifice in our country," Pelosi told reporters in her Capitol Hill office. "Mr. Rangel will be very busy with his work on the Ways and Means Committee which jurisdiction is quite different, but he is a strong voice for social justice in our country. And that's a way to make a point that this war has not involved or made any shared sacrifice."
When asked directly if she supported the measure, Pelosi said "No. No."
-- CNN Congressional Correspondent Andrea Koppel
About the CNN Political TickerThe CNN Political Ticker provides the latest political news.
To sign up for our twice daily Ticker emails, visit CNN.com member services page. If you do not have a CNN.com account, you can register here.
If you have any feedback, suggestions or news tips, drop us a line here.
NEW IN THE TICKER• Bush: No decision on Iraq troop levels
• On the campaign trail with potential '08ers
• GOP fundraiser convicted in scandal gets 18 years ...
• Montana pol switches parties, gives Dems control o...
• Pelosi and Hoyer to discuss Dems' agenda
• House Dems hone in on massive oil industry profits...
• New RNC chair stresses need for party unity, small...
• The CNN Political Ticker AM, Monday, Nov. 20, 2006...
• In a surprise visit, Fordham stops by Capitol Hill...
• Ahead on CNN