Tuesday, November 07, 2006
Pelosi 'likes' speaker title
WASHINGTON (CNN) -- While House Democrats say they are not dancing in the end zone before the votes are counted tonight, but two top lawmakers looked mighty happy as they arrived on Capitol Hill Tuesday afternoon.
After House Democratic Leader Nancy Pelosi's, D-California, police-chauffeured SUV came to a halt outside the Capitol, Rep. George Miller, D-California, emerged from the car and was greeted by a bear hug from an unidentified young man. Miller, one of Pelosi's closest confidantes, would become chairman of the Education and Workforce Committee if Democrats win a majority of seats in the House.
Out of the other door came Pelosi and an aide. "Good afternoon, Madam Speaker," a reporter called out playfully.
"I like the title," responded Pelosi, unable to contain her smile which appeared to connect her ears. "But not yet," she cautioned before disappearing into the Capitol.
-- CNN Congressional Producer Ted Barrett
About the CNN Political TickerThe CNN Political Ticker provides the latest political news.
To sign up for our twice daily Ticker emails, visit CNN.com member services page. If you do not have a CNN.com account, you can register here.
If you have any feedback, suggestions or news tips, drop us a line here.
NEW IN THE TICKER• Crashed laptops lead to long lines in Denver
• GOP Slogan: 'Punch Foley for Negron'
• Sources: Turnout in Virginia may reach historic le...
• Iraq, integrity dominate New Jersey Senate race
• Turnout 'very heavy' in Montana
• Missouri's secretary of state asked for photo ID t...
• Senate race dominates for Tenn. voters
• In divided state legislatures, Dems scramble to ga...
• FBI looking into allegations of deceptive calls to...
• Bush huddles tonight with political advisers