Monday, November 06, 2006
Mehlman: GOP gaining momentum
WASHINGTON (CNN) -- Republican National Committee Chairman Ken Mehlman said Monday his party is gaining significant momentum heading into Election Day, in a memo circulated to GOP leaders and supporters across the country.
The RNC head noted three national polls released in recent days that indicate Republicans had made large gains in generic match-ups with Democrats. Mehlman cited polls from ABC News/Washington Post, Pew Research Center, and Gallup -- all of which indicate the Democrats' lead has dwindled to single digits from a much larger margin a couple weeks ago.
Mehlman also said these recent polls indicate GOP enthusiasm is growing with less than 24 hours until voters head to the polls.
A new CNN poll indicates Democrats maintain a 20% margin among likely voters in a generic match-up.
For CNN's coverage of the midterm elections, check out America Votes 2006
--CNN Ticker Producer Alexander Mooney
About the CNN Political TickerThe CNN Political Ticker provides the latest political news.
To sign up for our twice daily Ticker emails, visit CNN.com member services page. If you do not have a CNN.com account, you can register here.
If you have any feedback, suggestions or news tips, drop us a line here.
NEW IN THE TICKER• Ohio absentee ballots scanned early
• Klobuchar has double digit lead over Kennedy
• Clinton heads to tight Rhode Island Senate race
• Allen greeted by Sheehan, anti-war protesters
• Bradley leads Shea-Porter in NH-01
• Hodes has the edge over Bass in NH-02
• Vice president to hunt on Election Day
• Menendez has the edge over Kean
• Lieberman leads Lamont in Connecticut
• Iraq helps election winds favor Democrats, analyst...