Wednesday, November 15, 2006
Lott confident he has enough votes
WASHINGTON (CNN) -- Sen. Trent Lott, R-Mississippi, expressed confidence Wednesday that he has enough votes to become the No. 2 Republican in the Senate, telling CNN it's just a matter of holding his supporters together.
"It's like herding cats, you know?," Lott said.
Lott, who stepped down for the Senate majority leader post four years ago after comments many deemed racially insensitive, has quietly campaigned for the minority whip position against Tennessee Sen. Lamar Alexander. The GOP caucus is expected to vote on the position sometime Wednesday morning.
-- CNN Congressional Correspondent Dana Bash
About the CNN Political TickerThe CNN Political Ticker provides the latest political news.
To sign up for our twice daily Ticker emails, visit CNN.com member services page. If you do not have a CNN.com account, you can register here.
If you have any feedback, suggestions or news tips, drop us a line here.
NEW IN THE TICKER• Lott quietly campaigns for a return to a Senate le...
• GOP Congressmen campaign online for leadership pos...
• CNN Political Ticker AM
• Some freshman Dems land plum committee assignments...
• Martinez looks to 'strike a hopeful message'
• Dem chairmanships announced
• Senate Democrats give Lieberman standing ovation
• Ahead on CNN
• Bush: Auto leaders must make 'difficult choices'
• Murtha blasts 'swift boat-style' attacks