Tuesday, November 07, 2006
CNN projects Democrat wins Maryland governor
(CNN) -- CNN projects that Democrat Martin O'Malley, the mayor of
Baltimore, will defeat Maryland Gov. Robert Erlich, the incumbent Republican.
This is a pick-up for the Democrats, the fourth on the night.
Democrats need a net pick-up of four governorships to take over a
majority of the state posts. Heading into the balloting, five GOP-held seats
were considered likely to switch, and races for six others are down to the
By contrast, just four Democrat-held governorships appear to be within
possible Republican reach, and two of those were leaning Democratic.
About the CNN Political TickerThe CNN Political Ticker provides the latest political news.
To sign up for our twice daily Ticker emails, visit CNN.com member services page. If you do not have a CNN.com account, you can register here.
If you have any feedback, suggestions or news tips, drop us a line here.
NEW IN THE TICKER• CNN projects Democratic win in Rhode Island Senate...
• Incumbent governors in Texas, Wyoming and Illinois...
• Mood 'tense' at Allen campaign headquarters
• CNN projects: Democrat Cardin holds Maryland Senat...
• Incumbent Lieberman wins Connecticut Senate race, ...
• Parties hold serve in 9 Senate races, CNN projects...
• CNN projects: Incumbent Democratic governors win i...
• Casey to oust Santorum in Penn. Senate race, CNN p...
• Perdue projected to remain Georgia governor
• CNN projects Democratic Senate pickup in Ohio