Wednesday, November 15, 2006
Boehner: Time to rebuild 'Republican brand'
WASHINGTON (CNN) -- House Majority Leader John Boehner, who is vying for the top GOP spot when his party goes into the minority in the next Congress, said Wednesday the GOP must rebuild 'the Republican brand' if it hopes to regain its majority.
"To regain our majority in 2008, House Republicans need to get back to our core principles and rededicate ourselves to the reform mindset that put us in the majority 12 years ago," Boehner wrote in an editorial appearing in Wednesday's edition of "The Hill" newspaper. “We must rebuild the Republican coalition by focusing on reform ideas because they will not only win broad-based support among House members, but among the American people."
Boehner is competing for the House minority leadership position with Reps. Joe Barton of Texas and Mike Pence of Indiana. The GOP caucus is set to hold their House leadership elections Friday.
-- CNN Ticker Producer Alexander Mooney
About the CNN Political TickerThe CNN Political Ticker provides the latest political news.
To sign up for our twice daily Ticker emails, visit CNN.com member services page. If you do not have a CNN.com account, you can register here.
If you have any feedback, suggestions or news tips, drop us a line here.
NEW IN THE TICKER• Levin: 'No military solution in Iraq'
• Lott gets minority whip post
• Bush, Putin discuss Iran, nuclear weapons over lun...
• Gillespie emerges as front-runner for Virginia sta...
• Queen Elizabeth II to visit White House
• Recount gives Democrat Joe Courtney the win in Con...
• Bush's trip to Vietnam revives Iraq comparison
• Lott confident he has enough votes
• Lott quietly campaigns for a return to a Senate le...
• GOP Congressmen campaign online for leadership pos...