Monday, October 02, 2006
Supreme Court to tackle race, abortion in new term
From CNN Supreme Court Producer Bill Mears
WASHINGTON (CNN) -- Abortion and race: The two most divisive social issues of recent decades will get high-profile hearings this fall before the U.S. Supreme Court.
The justices begin their new term Monday but will postpone hearing arguments for a day in observance of Yom Kippur.
The Supreme Court is proceeding forcefully under new Chief Justice John Roberts. In addition to abortion and affirmative action, the docket includes meaty issues such as immigration, a attempt to limit multimillion dollar jury awards, a criminal defendant's fair trial rights and the government's ability to control smog.
About the CNN Political TickerThe CNN Political Ticker provides the latest political news.
To sign up for our twice daily Ticker emails, visit CNN.com member services page. If you do not have a CNN.com account, you can register here.
If you have any feedback, suggestions or news tips, drop us a line here.
NEW IN THE TICKER• Supreme Court journal: Getting up close and person...
• Justice Kennedy works on his swing
• Foley says he's in treatment for alcoholism
• Probe widens in Foley case; FDLE to look into Fla....
• Political Ticker AM edition
• AP: Bush Not Dragging Schwarzenegger Down
• AP: Democrats Want to Revive Soc. Sec. Issue
• House speaker asks Gonzales to probe lurid Foley c...
• Kissinger downplays his role at the White House
• AP: Bush Confident in Rumsfeld