Wednesday, October 04, 2006
A statement released by Kirk Fordham, former senior aide to ex-Rep. Mark Foley and Rep. Tom Reynolds
"I've learned within the last few hours that unnamed sources have purported that I intervened on behalf of Congressman Foley to prevent a page board investigation. This is categorically false. At no point--ever--did I ask anyone to block any inquiries into Foley's actions or behavior.
These sources know this allegation is false.
Having stepped down as Mr. Reynolds chief of staff, I have no reason to state anything other than the facts. I have no Congressman and no office to protect.
I intend to fully cooperate with any and every investigation of Mr. Foley's conduct. At the same time, I will fully disclose to the FBI and the House Ethics Committee any and all meetings and phone calls I had with senior staffers in the House Leadership about any of Foley's inappropriate activities.
The fact is, even prior to the existence of the Foley email exchanges I had more than one conversation with senior staff at the highest levels of the House of Representatives asking them to intervene when I was informed of Mr. Foley's inappropriate behavior.
One of these staffers is still employed by a Senior House Republican Leader.
Rather than trying to shift the blame on me, those who are employed by these House Leaders should acknowledge what they know about their action or inaction in response to the information they knew about Mr. Foley prior to 2005."
About the CNN Political TickerThe CNN Political Ticker provides the latest political news. To sign up for our twice daily Ticker emails, or if you have any feedback, suggestions or news tips, drop us a line at email@example.com.
NEW IN THE TICKER• First lady campaigns for Reynolds
• CNN Poll indicates Bush may be a drag on GOP come November
• AP: Republican congressman calls for Rumsfeld's resignation
• AP: Fordham says he told Hastert's office about Foley's conduct 2 years ago
• McCain adds South Carolina GOP leader to political action committee
• Fundraiser-in-chief on western campaign swing
• Wetterling to give Democratic response to presidential radio address
• AP: McCain calls for independent investigation into handling of Foley emails
• Reynolds top aide resigns
• Rep. LaHood calls for suspension of page program