Monday, October 09, 2006
Pelosi calls for new approach to North Korea
From CNN Ticker Producer Alex Mooney
WASHINGTON (CNN) -- House Minority Leader Nancy Pelosi, D-California, suggesting the Bush Administration's policy toward North Korea has "clearly failed," urged President Bush to immediately appoint a high-level coordinator for North Korean policy.
"That appointment should be made immediately and other nations whose policies on North Korea have also so clearly failed, like China, must urgently develop new approaches as well," said Pelosi in a statement, in which she also noted that a recent Defense Department authorization bill required the president appoint someone to the post.
About the CNN Political TickerThe CNN Political Ticker provides the latest political news.
To sign up for our twice daily Ticker emails, visit CNN.com member services page. If you do not have a CNN.com account, you can register here.
If you have any feedback, suggestions or news tips, drop us a line here.
NEW IN THE TICKER• Hastert calls for decisive action at U.N.
• Gore back on the political airwaves
• McCain adds Bush-Cheney fundraiser to PAC
• Bush condemns N. Korea claim of nuclear tests; cal...
• President Bush to address North Korea nuclear test...
• Will social conservatives show up at the polls?
• Former Foley aide set to testify before ethics pan...
• CNN Political Ticker AM
• Iraq foreign minister disputes senator
• McHenry acknowledges no evidence of Democratic inv...