Sunday, October 08, 2006
Kingston expresses support for Hastert
From CNN Political Editor Mark Preston
WASHINGTON (CNN) -- Georgia Rep. Jack Kingston, who serves as vice-chair of the House Republican Conference, expressed support Sunday for House Speaker Dennis Hastert, R-Illinois, who is under fire for his handling of the Foley page scandal.
Appearing on Fox News Sunday, Kingston praised Hastert for directing the House ethics panel as well as asking the FBI to begin immediate investigations into then-Rep. Mark Foley's, R-Florida, inappropriate e-mail and sexually explicit IM correspondence with teenage House pages.
"I think he's taken some definitive steps to get to the bottom of this and have a thorough investigation," Kingston said.
About the CNN Political TickerThe CNN Political Ticker provides the latest political news.
To sign up for our twice daily Ticker emails, visit CNN.com member services page. If you do not have a CNN.com account, you can register here.
If you have any feedback, suggestions or news tips, drop us a line here.
NEW IN THE TICKER• AP: GOP Lawmakers Seek to Defend Hastert
• AP: Mo. Candidates Debate Foley, Iraq War
• Stephanopoulos corrects Putnam on Lewinsky scandal...
• Emanuel denies prior knowledge of Foley's contacts...
• Putnam argues GOP leadership acted swiftly on Fole...
• The CNN Political Ticker AM, Sunday, Oct. 8, 2006
• GOP campaign leader sorry over Foley scandal; blam...
• AP: Schwarzenegger Holds Lead Before Debate
• Reynolds tells constituents he's sorry for Foley s...
• AP: Trial May Hurt Ohio GOP on Election Day