Monday, October 02, 2006
House speaker asks Gonzales to probe lurid Foley case
WASHINGTON (CNN) -- House Speaker Dennis Hastert has asked the Justice Department to investigate how lawmakers handled allegations that a Florida congressman exchanged sexually explicit messages with teenage congressional pages, the speaker's office said.
The rare move followed calls by Democratic leaders in the House and Senate for a swift inquiry earlier Sunday, questioning whether the GOP leadership in the House had improperly squelched concerns about former Rep. Mark Foley's contacts with pages.
FBI spokesman Richard Kolko said the bureau was looking into whether any federal laws have been violated in the matter, but he had no further comment.
About the CNN Political TickerThe CNN Political Ticker provides the latest political news.
To sign up for our twice daily Ticker emails, visit CNN.com member services page. If you do not have a CNN.com account, you can register here.
If you have any feedback, suggestions or news tips, drop us a line here.
NEW IN THE TICKER• Kissinger downplays his role at the White House
• AP: Bush Confident in Rumsfeld
• Murtha says questions about his past and family wo...
• Bartlett defends House GOP leaders for their handl...
• AP: Top Senate Races Very Competitive
• Pelosi demands GOP leaders be questioned in Foley ...
• AP: Ohio Senate Hopefuls Spar on Iraqi War
• GOP leaders assail Foley amid Democratic criticism...
• Bartlett questions Woodward "State of Denial" thes...
• CNN Political Ticker AM, Sunday, Oct. 1, 2006