Monday, October 02, 2006
Foley's rehab announcement
The following is a letter written by former Rep. Mark Foley and reportedly faxed to NBC affiliate WPBF in West Palm Beach, Florida.
October 1, 2006
Painfully, the events that led to my resignation have crystallized recognition of my longstanding significant alcohol and emotional difficulties.
I strongly believe that I am an alcoholic and have accepted the need for immediate treatment for alcoholism and related behavioral problems.
On Saturday, with the loving support of my family and friends, I made arrangements to enter a renowned in-patient facility to address my disease and related issues.
I deeply regret and accept full responsibility for the harm I have caused.
Over the weekend, I communicated extensively with one of the most respected mental health experts in Palm Beach County, Florida, who has been instrumental in counseling and assisting me.
Attorney David Roth, my good friend of four decades has been requested by me to fully and completely cooperate regarding any inquiries that may arise during my treatment.
Words cannot express my gratitude for the prayers and words of encouragement that have been conveyed to me.
Mark A. Foley
About the CNN Political TickerThe CNN Political Ticker provides the latest political news.
To sign up for our twice daily Ticker emails, visit CNN.com member services page. If you do not have a CNN.com account, you can register here.
If you have any feedback, suggestions or news tips, drop us a line here.
NEW IN THE TICKER• Supreme Court to tackle race, abortion in new term...
• Supreme Court journal: Getting up close and person...
• Justice Kennedy works on his swing
• Foley says he's in treatment for alcoholism
• Probe widens in Foley case; FDLE to look into Fla....
• Political Ticker AM edition
• AP: Bush Not Dragging Schwarzenegger Down
• AP: Democrats Want to Revive Soc. Sec. Issue
• House speaker asks Gonzales to probe lurid Foley c...
• Kissinger downplays his role at the White House