Monday, October 09, 2006
Bush condemns N. Korea claim of nuclear tests; calls for 'immediate response'
WASHINGTON (CNN) -- Speaking from the White House, President Bush on Monday called North Korea's claim of a nuclear test "a provocative act" and said the United States is working to confirm that such a test was carried out.
"Once again North Korea has defied the will of the international community and the international community will respond," Bush said.
After speaking with the leaders of South Korea, Russia, China and Japan, Bush said the nations agree on an "immediate response by the United Nations Security Council."
The council will consider the matter during its session on Monday.
About the CNN Political TickerThe CNN Political Ticker provides the latest political news.
To sign up for our twice daily Ticker emails, visit CNN.com member services page. If you do not have a CNN.com account, you can register here.
If you have any feedback, suggestions or news tips, drop us a line here.
NEW IN THE TICKER• President Bush to address North Korea nuclear test...
• Will social conservatives show up at the polls?
• Former Foley aide set to testify before ethics pan...
• CNN Political Ticker AM
• Iraq foreign minister disputes senator
• McHenry acknowledges no evidence of Democratic inv...
• Meehan says he believes Hastert knew of Foley's in...
• AP: Allen Didn't Disclose Stock Options
• Kingston expresses support for Hastert
• AP: GOP Lawmakers Seek to Defend Hastert