Thursday, September 28, 2006
Hastert reiterates Dems are pro-terrorist rights
From CNN's Dana Bash
WASHINGTON (CNN) -- Speaker Dennis Hastert reiterated Thursday his claims that House Democrats who voted against the detainee bill were in favor of granting terrorists more rights. This comes after House Minority leader Nancy Pelosi called Hastert a "desperate man," for making such assertions.
When asked by reporters if he "really believes" Democrats were for more rights for terrorists, Hastert replied "Oh yeah, absolutely. What we're trying to do is put terrorists behind bars and make sure that they don't get out and kill people in this country.
"And yeah, it's pretty apparent to me that if you're voting about that you're saying, look at, we think that these people ought to have any right that any other American citizen should have in the courts, and in fact they're here to kill us."
Pelosi Wednesday defended her vote against the bill, saying, "I think every person in America would tear these people to shreds with their bare hands if they had the opportunity," but added that "we want them punished, but not in a way that endangers our troops."
Read full story
About the CNN Political TickerThe CNN Political Ticker provides the latest political news.
To sign up for our twice daily Ticker emails, visit CNN.com member services page. If you do not have a CNN.com account, you can register here.
If you have any feedback, suggestions or news tips, drop us a line here.
NEW IN THE TICKER• O'Connor, Breyer call for end to attacks on judici...
• Senior White House official dismisses Woodward's c...
• Menendez and Kean in a dead heat for New Jersey Se...
• Frist: America can't abandon Iraq on the operating...
• Capitol Police clear suspcious powder
• Police investigate suspicious powder at Senate off...
• CBS News: Woodward says Bush not honest with Ameri...
• A new Democratic group forms for Lieberman
• McCain continues to line up support in key primary...
• Club for Growth endorses four more candidates